The specimen should NOT be collected when the patient is menstruating. The patient should not use vaginal medication, vaginal contraceptives, or douches during the 48 hours before the exam. Lubricant jellies should not be used to lubricate the speculum. Excess mucus or discharge in the cervical os should be removed with a gauze pad before taking the sample. The sample should be obtained before the application of acetic acid.
METHOD OF COLLECTION
- Obtain an adequate sample from the ectocervix using a plastic spatula in the conventional fashion.
- Obtain an adequate sample of the endocervix using an endocervical brush. Insert the brush into the cervix and rotate slowly for approximately half a turn in one direction. Do not over-rotate because this may cause bleeding.
- TRANSFERRING THE SPECIMEN TO THE CONTAINER: Rinse the spatula in the PreservCyt solution vial by swirling the spatula vigorously in the vial about 10 times.
- Immerse the brush in the PreservCyt solution. Press the bristles of the brush firmly against the side wall of the PreservCyt container and rotate the brush 10 times; this will open the bristles of the brush and release the cells adherent to the bristles. Then rapidly rotate the brush in the Preserv solution about 10 times.
- Then, using the spatula, scrape the brush to remove the remaining material from the brush. Discard spatula and brush. NOTE: IT IS ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM STEPS #3-5 IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE SPECIMEN HAS BEEN COLLECTED. IF THESE STEPS ARE DELAYED, THE ALCOHOL IN THE PRESERVCYT SOLUTION MAY CAUSE THE CELLS TO ADHERE TO THE COLLECTING DEVICES, ESPECIALLY THE BRUSH, AND RESULT IN AN UNSATISFACTORY SPECIMEN.
- Close the container and secure the lid tightly.
- Write the patient’s name and physician’s name on the specimen container.
- Complete the Calpath requisition form per the instructions.
After collecting the specimen, please do the following:
- Place the specimen in the Calpath specimen bag.
- Place the requisition form in the side slot of the Calpath specimen bag.
- Call Calpath for a pickup or place the Calpath specimen bag in the location where our courier usually picks up your daily specimens.